The EMS World Expo welcomes members of the press to write about content presented at the annual meeting. Complimentary registration is provided to members of recognized press with valid press credentials allowing them to attend sessions. Below you will find a complete listing of the eligibility requirements, guidelines, and policies for members of the press who wish to attend the EMS World Expo. Please read all policies and guidelines prior to registering. The EMS World Expo Press Office has the right to inspect the credentials of anyone registering and reserves the right to deny press registration to any individual.
Who Can Register for Press Credentials?
Members of the media employed by a recognized news organization, including freelancers who contribute to such organizations, are eligible to apply for press registration. Applications must be received at least two weeks prior to the event start date. To be eligible for press registration, media members in all categories must be directly involved in the creation of news content for organizations that meet these criteria:
- Publish original editorial news coverage in a regular news section;
- Have complete editorial freedom from advertisers, funders and/or sponsors;
- If sponsored, the outlet has multiple sponsors (no single-sponsored publications); and
- Advertisers, sponsors, paid editorial, and other funding sources are clearly identified.
NOTE: No more than 3 press badges will be issued per organization. The EMS World Expo reserves the right to impose further limitations on the number of badges issued as necessary.
Special Considerations for Registration
Bloggers and Podcasters
Bloggers will receive press credentials on a case-by-case basis. Include a copy of photo identification (such as a driver’s license or passport) and a copy of press identification (such as press credentials or a business card) or a statement about your blog’s intended audience and history. In addition, include copies of, or links to, two recent and relevant posts to the EMS World Expo (posts demonstrating the blog’s coverage of relevant topics). Finally, all blogs must demonstrate the dissemination of original, editorial news coverage and editorial freedom from advertisers and/or sponsors (single-sponsored blogs will not receive credentials; blogs with advertising must have multiple advertisers clearly identified).
Podcasters will receive press credentials on a case-by-case basis. Podcasters include hosts and producers of podcasts that have been in existence for at least one year and regularly produce original audio content in or around EMS World Expo. Podcasts must be hosted by a recognized news media outlet, scientific society, educational institution, government agency, or a non-profit organization focused on EMS World Expo. The EMS World Expo Press Office may grant press credentials to producers of independent podcasts not hosted by a media outlet or scientific institution/society, or those that have been in existence for less than one year, on a case-by-case basis.
Podcasters must present a link to the podcast homepage and a webpage or business card clearly showing their name and affiliation with the podcast. They must also provide a link to or screenshot of the podcast’s page on a major listening platform such as iTunes, Google Play, Stitcher or Spotify.
If the podcast is not hosted by a media outlet or scientific institution/society or has been in existence for less than one year, the EMS World Expo Press Office may ask for additional credentials and weigh a podcast’s monthly downloads, listener ratings, and social media following in determining eligibility for registration.
Editorial Staff Who Do Not Produce Content
Editorial staff participating in the meeting for the sole purpose of editorial direction may apply for press registration, but will be required to submit a letter from a designated organization official confirming that the staff member will be representing the organization for the sole purpose of editorial direction as well as a copy of the publication (electronic or hard copy). Non-content producing editorial staff is limited to one per organization.
Documentary Film Crews
Documentary film crews and video production companies must submit a written request to email@example.com at least 30 days prior to the meeting that includes information about the company, the purpose of attending the meeting, a synopsis of the film/video/documentary project, and information on the editorial/financial supporters of the project.
Photographers/Videographers/Content Team Members
Photographers, videographers, and/or other members of a content team accompanying credentialed news outlets must submit an assignment letter with their registration that includes information about the total number of crew and specific role of each crew member. Photographer/videographer/content team registrations count toward the three registrations allowed per organization, and assignment letters must be on company letterhead.
Who Cannot Register for Press Credentials?
The following individuals are not eligible for press registration or interview space designated for use by registered press:
- Individuals who receive exhibitor passes;
- Publishers or a publications’ advertising, marketing, public relations, sales, circulation, or any other non-editorial function representatives from the business side of news media, political action committees or similar, and for-profit corporations;
- Industry/exhibitor press officers and their public relations consultants;
- Financial or business analysts;
- Educational program developers (including Continuing Medical Education writers and editors);
- Trade media management personnel;
- Editors, writers, and scientific advisory board members for journals that do not have editorial news sections;
- Companies or organizations producing publications, videos, and/or other electronic media intended for internal use, marketing, advertising, financial analysis, or public relations purposes (Exhibitors wishing to film marketing and public relations videos, such as KOLs, are allowed to do so at their booths during non-exhibit hall hours with prior approval; please contact HMP Education for more information);
- Media who produce a communications vehicle that is sponsored by a single organization or whose revenue for the publication or issue of a publication depends solely on coverage at the EMS World Expo; and
- Media who produce communications vehicle that use the EMS World Expo name or logo to imply endorsement also are ineligible to receive press credentials.
Please Note: The EMS World Expo prohibits the development of CME content based on information presented at the EMS World Expo. CME writers and editors, and those writers and editors working on behalf of organizations that have written CME based on the EMS World Expo, are not eligible for press passes.
Activities not Allowed by Registered Press/Photographers/Videographers
- Sales, marketing or representing a company for the purposes of obtaining advertising, subscriptions, selling photography/video production, or other products or services from any registrant or exhibitor;
- Misrepresentation of role or activities to obtain media registration;
- Positioning your outlet as the, or an, official media partner/provider/outlet of the meeting;
- Sharing or distributing embargoed materials prior to the end of the embargo;
- Developing or assisting in the development of CME programs;
- Soliciting presenters and/or attendees for inclusion in CME programs or publications; and
- Publishing or posting presentation slides or copyrighted meeting materials or live streams of meeting presentations. All presentations, slides and other presentation materials are copyrighted.
Conference Access for Registered Press
Credentialed media have access to all general sessions and the exhibit hall. Access to ticketed events is restricted to paid ticket holders only.
Interviews with Faculty
Request for speaker/faculty interviews should be coordinated through the EMS World Expo Press Office. Contact them at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Recording of Sessions
Hand-held audio recorders and still cameras are acceptable, assuming that intellectual property copyrights are respected. Registered media may take photos and audio record in the session rooms for the sole purpose of reporting accuracy with prior permission from the presenter. Filming of sessions is strictly prohibited. Photos and/or audio recordings must be captured in a non-disruptive manner so as not to disturb the presenter and other attendees. Flash photography, video recording, and live streaming of any meeting materials, including all presentations, are strictly prohibited.
Recording in Public Areas
To film in public areas, media must receive prior approval from the EMS World Expo Press Office. Video cameras must be pre-approved by the Press Office when press credentials are applied for before the meeting. Moving video recordings are limited to interviews with presenters/attendees; general b-roll and live video updates filmed outside of the exhibit hall and speaker sessions; and establishing shots. Any images from the meeting should be credited to the EMS World Expo.
Recording in Exhibit Hall
Exhibits may not be photographed or videotaped without express prior permission from the exhibitor and the EMS World Expo Press Office. Attendees who have questions about these media policies should contact the EMS World Expo Press Office at email@example.com.
Reproduction of meeting materials and presentation slides requires first obtaining permission from the presenter(s), as well as from any individual or group that may hold copyright on the material. Journalists violating copyright may have their press credentials denied the following year.
Meeting Coverage Promotion Guidelines
The official title of the event is the 2022 EMS World Expo. If you intend to present coverage of the EMS World Expo on or in a dedicated website, newsletter, or promotional piece of any kind, acceptable titles of your coverage include:
- EMS World Expo Highlights
- EMS World Expo Review
The EMS World Expo Press Office reserves the right to request promotional activities violating this policy be edited or removed. Failure to comply with these guidelines may result in the loss of press access at future meetings.
Use of Insignias/Logos
Insignias and logos of the EMS World Expo are proprietary marks. Use of these in any fashion, by any entity, for any purpose, is prohibited without the written permission from the EMS World Expo. The use of insignias, logos, and images that mislead the intended audience to believe that a piece or production is coming from the EMS World Expo is strictly prohibited and will result in the denial of press access at future meetings.
How to Apply for a Press Badge
Applications for press access must be received no later than two weeks prior to the event start date. To apply for a press badge, members of the media should be prepared to provide the following:
- Photo identification (such as a driver’s license or passport). This is for verification purposes only, and HMP Global does not distribute or retain this information.
- Media identification certifying that you are a working member of a recognized print, broadcast or online media (such as a business card, accredited press pass or an official media outlet- issued credential).
- An assignment letter from an editor, assistant editor, assignment editor or designated organization official confirming that the media member will be representing the organization and explaining the intended use of the resulting coverage (Bloggers may submit an overview of their blog and explain the intended use of the resulting coverage in lieu of an assignment letter.).
- Bylined, published work samples, preferably directly related to EMS World Expo (scientific research studies, textbooks, textbook chapters, brochure/promotional copy, etc. do not qualify as news coverage).
NOTE: Members of the media who received credentials for the previous year’s meeting must submit bylined coverage from the meeting as in lieu of general work samples. (If meeting coverage is behind a paywall, a username and password to access the coverage must be provided. This information will only be used to verify eligibility and confirm post-meeting coverage.)
To apply for press access, please visit the EMS World Expo Press Room. Once your application has been reviewed, you will receive confirmation of its approval or denial.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Does HMP Global share its media list?
HMP Global does not share, rent, or sell the current or past list of registrants or media with attendees, exhibitors or their representative public relations and marketing agencies.
- What do I do if I lose my badge?
All registered press must wear their badge at all times so that staff can easily identify those who have audio/video/photography privileges. If you lose your badge, please visit the registration desk to have a new one printed. Any member of the press found to be requesting duplicate badges for transfer to an individual not approved by HMP Global’s Public Relations team will result in access being revoked at the current and future meetings